Friday, February 7, 2014

Five Things I Learned After Moving into Winnipeg

I moved into Winnipeg when I was two-months shy of 18 years-old. I grew up on a farm 20 minutes outside of the city so Winnipeg was very familiar to me, but I still had some big adjustments.

This year, 2014, will be my fifth year in the city! To celebrate here are five things about living in Winnipeg that I noticed during my transition:

1. Traffic

Not only are there way more cars in Winnipeg, but there are also way more traffic lights, one-way streets, merge lanes, construction etc. Driving through a construction zone at night can look just like you took a trip to Wonderland. You have to drive offensively AND defensively. Needless to say my driving skills have improved since moving here.

2. Pavement/Asphalt 

Believe it or not pavement and asphalt can be much worse to drive on than gravel.  Sliding on gravel towards a stop sign is nothing like sliding on pavement into the back-end of a garbage truck. Both gravel and pavement get potholes, but potholes on pavement seem to do more damage. It is much easier to damage your car during winter in Winnipeg than in the country.  Snow-filled ditches usually don't leave dents.

3. People Have Nice Things

I am still playing catch-up with my "city" friends when it comes to my wardrobe.  Maybe it's just me but it seems like the clothing stakes are much higher in Winnipeg than in the country. There is way more selection here so no excuse to dress like a hillbilly.

4. Food

The food in Winnipeg is amazing. I used to think my $7.99 Chinese buffet at Mui Mui's in La Salle was delectable.  Now I know what real food is. I can never go back.

5. Friends

People think Winnipeg is small but try getting away from an ex-boyfriend in a town of four thousand. It is easy to have multiple groups of friends in Winnipeg and there is always something to do on the weekend. I met some of my best friends after moving to Winnipeg (although my hometown friends are still amazing).

1 comment:

  1. As someone who's also from a relatively small community (Morden), I find it much more difficult to be a pedestrian in Winnipeg. In Morden, I was always used to walking back and forth from home to wherever I wanted to go without major obstructions; in Winnipeg, it's sometimes makes a hike in the Rocky Mountains seem easy.

    ReplyDelete